October 21, 2010

Jewelry Box: My collection through the years

A woman's jewelry box holds treasures. From childhood to adulthood those things are cherished. I remember looking through my mom's jewelry box as a kid and being fascinated by the treasures that were "off limits" - although I am sure she knows my sister and I played with them all. Through the years I've began collecting my own jewelry, and it wasn't until recently that I realized the exuberant of jewelry I did in fact have. Through gifts, vintage shops, or family, each one holds a special tale and memory.






Moroccan necklaces -- I have yet to find a great place to wear these pieces - I will soon!



A gift given to me by roommate Colleen. It is a golden snitch from Harry Potter. One of my all time favorite necklaces, Colleen hand made this beautiful piece

The necklace that I wear the most, this pocket watch/necklace was found at a vintage shop, it has since stopped working but it is such an elegant piece that I can't find an outfit it doesn't match!

Three sets of watches...two given to me by my mom, and one thrifted. The white rubber one is thrifted and it is wonderful! It is so great to wear at all times because I'm not afraid that it'll get ruined -- while the other two are gold and silver.

Fish Necklace and Owl Necklace - two of my favorite animal themed pieces. The owl necklace was given to me by my good friend Shannon for my 21st birthday. The necklace really means a lot to me because it reminds me that friends and family are the most important thing to have in your life. They are the bones that build you.

Another fantastic animal themed piece from Aldo. The fish actually moves!

My nautical themed jewelry - sail boat and anchor - both a reminder of Maine, where I grew up. The sailboat broach is vintage and the anchor is from Forever21.


Great story for these earrings - My first job was at Friendly's - a family style restaurant on the East Coast. I was a waitress serving this older couple - probably late 50s. After I brought out their drinks, I complimented her earrings, these earrings. She then took them off and INSISTED that I have them. I politely declined, but she refused to take no for an answer. They left me the earrings and a tip with the bill as well as a little note saying "Just don't ask for the shirt off her back" - from her husband. Hah! I love these things so much...even though they are now, six years later, falling apart.

This central ring is one I wear every day - it is a great handmade piece of jewelry that I got from a vintage shop here in Chicago.





It's amazing to have so many pieces of jewelry and remember were each and every piece came from. I have broken pieces of jewelry that I refuse to throw away, maybe because becoming an artist has made me a hoarder, but also because they just mean so much to me. I've always been an accessories girl, but these are more like little treasures that may not have a high cost value, but they have a great emotional value to me.

2 comments:

  1. You can wear one of the Moroccan ones to my wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! Yeah! Maybe if they dont clash with the dresses :P

    ReplyDelete